Advanced Fungi Culturing Course
Culturing mushroom mycelium is not a difficult task, especially if you know where and how it all begins.
Our intention is to teach and train individuals in a friendly environment, how to grow their own edible and medicinal mushrooms - from culturing to cultivation. This mushroom course is called the "Advanced Fungi Culturing Course" as you will learn, in great detail, the methods and processes used to culture mycelium. Once you've applied your newly acquired knowledge from this mushroom course, you will come to realise that it is not as difficult as you thought and you will understand why we use the slogan "fear not the fungi".
This fungi culturing course is a two-day course (when you do all 4 modules together) and is not a group mushroom course. This training is one-on-one to ensure that you will receive the required attention that you need, to learn in your own way. Your learning and instruction will come from: documents designed for this fungi course presented in a training manual; practical demonstrations, assistance and guidance from Craig.
The four modules of the mushroom course overlap in content and integrate with one another.
Due to the extensive amount of theory and practical content, we have chosen to split the mushroom course into four modules, namely;
- Culturing on agar using petri dishes/plates (3 hours) R2,575
- Isolating good mycelium from bad contaminations (4 hours) R2,575
- Making your own Master spawn and multiplying spawn (4 hours) R2,575
- Growing mushrooms; edible and medicinal (3 hours) R2,575
You can do a 3 hour session in the morning, have lunch and complete another 4 hours in the afternoon. Lunch is on us!
Included in the Course
When doing the full 2-day course, there are skills that you practice in each module and you get to take home the "fruits of your labour".
- A training manual with the course material and step-by-step processes
- You will be the proud owner of 10 different mushroom species on petri dish agar culture, which you select from our extensive culture library. A few examples of species to choose from are:
- Brown Oyster
- Blue Oyster
- Grey Oyster
- King Oyster
- Indian Oyster
- Pink Oyster
- Lion's Mane
- Turkey Tail
- In addition to the above, you will make and take home 2xmaster spawn grain jars; 2x2kg grain spawn bags and 2xmushroom grow bags that you will pack yourself. If you are flying to Cape Town to attend the course, we suggest you bring an extra bag to pack these items into, alternately you can courier home if you are resident in South Africa.
- A light lunch and refreshments are provided.
After the course
As an Advanced Course graduate and a NEW Fungkifriend, you qualify for 10% discount off future spawn and cultivation supplies ordered via the online SHOP. Fungkifriends are also offered a FREE listing on our website for exposure to buyers looking to source fresh mushrooms, take a look.
Tools of the Trade
We would like you to be in a position, where you can take your learning and duplicate the course procedures in your own home or place of business. There are Tools of the Trade or cultivation supplies that you would need to procure or have us procure them for you. You may already have some of these items, so you won't need to purchase them all from us. Some items will be a few rand cheaper or more expensive than you can purchase them for. If you can procure any of these items at a lesser price, please let us know so that we can source them at a better rate.
Once you have completed the booking inquiry form below and we've agreed to a date for your mushroom training, you will receive an email to confirm your booking.